RE: grants
From: Legal-All Lawyers (Salleyvolpe1.dot.gov)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 06:54:25 -0500
The following message is from Rowena Conkling my address is
salley [at] volpe1.dot.gov

I am a member of a newly formed group, Cambridge Cohousing, which is
struggling to evaluate the type of legal entity we need to interact with
bankers, property owners, etc.  I would appreciate any comments, insights,
recommendations in this area.  I've read the article from Cohousing Journal
but I'm really looking for war stories.  In particular:

Has any group out there formed a corporation rather than a partnership/joint
venture for the early stages of development?

If so, why?  What advantages/disadvantages did it have?  Would you do it
again?

Did any JVs have problems with banks - demands for personal guarantees, etc?

We would also like to hear from any group that has attempted to include an
affordable component - successful or not.

Thanks for your help.