RE: Cautionary Tale?
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 13:54:17 -0500

I would have to say, very much, that you could say almost exactly the =
same things in many regards to Sharingwood, the community I live in, and =
many other places.  Perspective differs.  A glass is half full, NO - its =
half empty, and so it goes.

Being part of a networking group in the NW (NICA) I have heard lots on =
many sides of the Cerro Gordo Community issues.  They even have a =
cohousing project going, or did last time I checked which has been =
almost a year now.

MY perspective about what I have heard, from all sides, is that Cerro =
Gordo, like most communities, formed with ambitious plans, and those =
forming had widely differing levels of skill, competetance, and =
intregity.  This is exactly what happens in the formation of any =
community, cohousing included.  You build the road as you go and often =
make mistakes because you don't know any better or one or two people may =
have integrity or other personal faults. You will NOT have all the =
interpersonal skills you need at first, and will have to grow those as =
you go, making your own share of mistakes along the way.=20

Sharingwood has suffered through many mistakes, changes in course, and =
continues to do so.  I try and share the worse of our mistakes so that =
others don't make them.  There is at least one couple, who has left =
Sharingwood after being foreclosed upon, whom I'm quite sure would have =
a very different perspective of our community than I or others hold. And =
of course, like most folks, I tend to couch our mistakes and faults =
gently and speak most of our successes.  This gives a biased viewpoint =
and I fully acknowlege that.  The difficulties of Sharingwood are the =
business of the membership and only those considering joining are privvy =
to.  This, in my opinion, is pretty normal. If you come to Sharingwood =
and get a tour you will get a nice round up of all the good points of =
Sharingwood.  Once you PROVE you are really interested in  joining, you =
get all the pieces. =20

Reality lies somewhere between the potential and the glitches. You have =
to believe and trust in the potential, or the glitches will put out your =
fire and leave you in the dark. =20

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood
  • Cautionary Tale? Collaborative Housing Society, August 25 1995
    • RE: Cautionary Tale? Rob Sandelin (Exchange), August 25 1995