Re: Coho Contributions to Society
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 05:09:24 -0500
Jeff Hobson JHOBBIT [at] GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU
is the author of the message below but due
to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop (Fred).
****************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS *********************

Mike:

Here's another example, about N Street Cohousing in Davis:

While I lived at N Street I was also involved in a homeless shelter in
town.  I often called on N Street members to help the homeless shelter.
Examples include:
- borrowing a truck to move supplies for a rehab
- several community members donated time for the rehab - laying carpet,
painting, etc.
- when the shelter had an auction, one member who is a rafting guide
offered to auction a raft trip if someone else would pay the expenses.
$120 in donations from individual community members paid the expenses for
the trip which brought in $350 or so at the auction.
- when the shelter was moving into a permanent location, the owner of the
nearby child care center objected.  One of her employees lived in N
Street, and the community member was one of several staff members who
publicly supported the homeless shelter.

N Street didn't make these things happen.  Several of them would have
happened without the existence of the community, but probably not all.
They were all *easier* because of the community.

There are several others vis-a-vis N Street, but those are the ones I can
remember right now.  Kevin Wolf could, I am sure, provide a more
historical list.

peas,
Jeff Hobson
ex-N Streeter