Re: If it religion it ain't cohousing
From: Kevin Wolf (kjwolfwheel.dcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:53:01 -0500
On Wed, 11 Oct 1995 THESHLIFE [at] aol.com wrote:

> As soon as you limit in any way a community, it's not cohousing.  Diversity
> is cohousing.  Tolerance to others and the freedom to pursue what you want
> for you life is cohousing.
>
> Mennonite cohousing is an oxymoron.
> Associating the two is a diservice to the movement.

I am sorry I don't know your name so I could address you directly.  I
disagree that Menonite cohousing is an oxymoron.  In almost all the
definitions we have seen on this list, few would eliminate Menonites from
using the word cohousing if their community was built within the
definition.

We have also talked about whether co-housing communities
should descriminate in who lives there based on their beliefs and
principles.  If two applicants for a house in our community were equal
and one was a prostelytizing fan of Rush Limbo and the other was a  local
environmental activist, should we draw straws to see who lives with us?
No.  We want to live with people who share similar believes and values
on  important issues.  If the Menonites want to have everyone in their
co-housing community share the same  religious beliefs and values, that's
fine by me and I don't begrudge them calling their living situation
co-housing.

With diversity and  unity,

Kevin Wolf                              |       KEVIN WOLF & ASSOCIATES
724 N St                                |    * Internet Consulting & Training
Davis, CA 95616                         |    * Water-On-Line Project
Phone: 916-758-4211                     |    * Organizational Facilitation &
Fax :  916-758-2338                     |    * Development
                        http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/~khoi/kwa/