Re: Diversity is the point
From: Bruce Koller (bkollerdvc.edu)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 12:44:58 -0500
On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Collaborative Housing Society wrote:

 I increasingly describe coho as intentional
> neighbourhood.  "Community" has become a way of describing a group of people
> that share certain characteristics, or more exactly, preferences - race,
> religion, sexuality, opposition or support for some issue.
>
> "Neighbourhood" is not based on politics but geography.
> Your neighbourhood is those people who share the place you live.  Guess
> what.  Most of the time, you have no choice who your neighbours are.  The
> test of a good neighbourhood is in finding ways to get along with people who
> don't share your point of view, except for a desire to have a good place to
> live their lives.
>
> This is the need that cohousing addresses for me - a way of recognizing,
> understanding and perhaps doing something about making good neighbourhoods.
> If that means going out and building a new one, then so be it.  But it could
> also mean inviting your neighbours to the next coho pot luck.  Maybe the
> community you're looking for is already there, waiting to be born. . .
>
> In the end, I remind you (and me, on a daily basis) that if you want good
> neighbours, you have to be a good neighbour.  Maybe coho is a way of
> recruiting good neighbours, or at least people who are predisposed to being
> neighbourly.  I'm not sure I'd want to take it much beyond that.
>
> Russell Mawby
> Collaborative Housing Society - Toronto
> cohosoc [at] web.apc.org

I think this is very well put and it decribes exactly why I am so
committed to cohousing.  Thanks, Russell.

Bruce Koller
Old Oakland Cohousing Group
bkoller [at] dvc.edu
  • Diversity is the point Collaborative Housing Society, October 12 1995
    • Re: Diversity is the point Bruce Koller, October 12 1995