[no subject]
From: Barbara Saunders (saunderssybase.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:23:01 -0500
Hmmm...I think that co-housing isn't likely to become very diverse until
the financial model on which it rests expands.   Personally, my attraction
to community in general (well, one of them) is community as relieving the
need for overwork in order to sustain the "middle-class" lifestyle.  If
the co-housing model presumes that the members will hold down the same
"industrialist-type" jobs, it's not going to attract the "bohemian" pagans,
artists/activists, minority groups, etc.  Because if you're already living
the "post-industrial" lifestyle, and want to expand that into intentional
community living, getting a 9-to-5 job to finance that is counterproductive.

Barbara

Valerie here.  I just want to say THANK YOU ZEV for your message.
YES! HO! and YES!  I can see a world where diversity is encouraged and
celebrated.  A black African co-housing unit, a pagan co-housing project,
a green-pepper lovers co-housing project.  I think it would be great to
see people go all the way expressing their members uniqueness WHILE
learning to appreciate and honor co-housing groups completely different
from there own.  I have the sense as we really accept and enjoy each others'
differences and allow them to flourish there will not be so much
conflict.  While I wouldn't want to love in a Catholic co-housing project
I might enjoy sitting in their meditation garden or enjoy helping them
with a community project they want to facilitate.  I've come from
flinching when I hear the word God to actually having friendships with
Jehova's Witneses (as long as they stop trying to convert me).  We grow
stronger in ourselves when we are surrounded with like-minded folks who
understand us and can support us to be the person we want to be.  For
some it will be "base model" co-housing, for others it will mean more
exclusivity or more criteria for admittance - that's life.  I hope we
move beyond this, personally as I would rather spend time discussing what
fun or growthful realizations, experiences folks ARE having.  What IS
helping you to get closer to living the life of your dreams?

Valerie Stuart, Eugene, OR