HVAC / Daylighting Resources
From: Sherri Zann Rosenthal (76671.1561compuserve.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 22:56:03 -0500
Dear Philosophical and Wordy CoHousers-
As penance for my post about the closing circle and Burning Souls, my
task-oriented side offers the following resources. I don't know if they are
still available, or have been updated. (Try a nearby engineering library if they
aren't still in publication):
        Space Conditioning: The Next Frontier. Subtitled: The potential of
advanced residential space conditioning technologies for reducing pollution and
saving consumers money. From EPA's Office of Air and Radiation, April 1993. EPA
430-R-93-004. Check with your local library on how to order government books
like this. This is an almost 300 p. report comparing various heating and cooling
technologies, including electric resistance furnaces with central air (CA),
electric air source heat pumps of various types, electric ground source heat
pumps with various ground loop configurations, oil furnaces, gas furnaces, and
gas-fired air source heat pumps. *Extremely* thorough analysis of performance
and cost of each, including comparison in 5 different climate zones across the
country.
        Daylighting Classroom Buildings, from the North Carolina Alternative
Energy Corporation (1991). This 185 p. book does not include ordering
information--an odd oversight. Here is the NC AEC's phone number and address: PO
Box 12699, RTP, NC 27709-2699. (919)361-8000. If you run into any trouble, ask
for Arnie Katz, a friend of mine who works there. Although the title of this one
might make it sound to be of narrow interest, it actually offers very practical
information about different means of achieving daylighting, with many of these
being broadly applicable.
        I believe that both of these books were free when I got them about a
year
ago. Not sure what the shipping and handling would run, but these are jam-packed
with practical info. and IMHO worth any reasonable cost to those dealing with
such matters. (Sorry I don't have any further information on how to order them.)

With warm thoughts of y'all
on a cool night in NC,
Sherri
Eno Commons CoHousing, Durham
     *  Where the members have reached enthusiastic consensus
     *  on a new site plan,and our neighbors-to-be have just approved
     *  a petition to have the city build the water line we need.