Re: Mainstream Appeal
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:50:41 -0500
KARP [at] XMISSION.XMISSION.COM is the author of the message below but due
to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop (Fred).

****************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS *********************

>I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have lurked here for
>several months and, as a result, decided that cohousing has less appeal for
>me than it did originally. Recently, I abandoned a new cohousing group (to my
>surprise as I thought that I was totally committed to cohousing). I would
>like to be a part of a community and have lived in community in years past.
>The main obstacle for me is that the cohousing experience (and community) I
>have to present is populated to some extent by a few people who have some
>major control needs.
>
>I currently live in a condominium with pretty standard rules and regulations,
>mainly rules that ask each resident to respect his/her neighbor.
>
>>From my experience with community I have made a couple of assumptions,
>
>1.  That many people who want the community experience grew up in
>dysfunctional families and keep looking to create another family for
>themselves (I include myself in this group)
>
>and,
>
>2.  if community is created without people dealing with their 'stuff' the
>dysfunctional family is recreated.
>
>I have not ruled coho out completely and will continue to read your
>experiences with interest.
>
>Sage McKenzie  (TXSage [at] aol.com)
>Austin, TX

Thank you for bringing up what was bugging me about this whole thread.
I couldn't quantify or verbalize it but you've made it quite clear.
I also include myself in your dysfunctional family group.
I now understand why I have been saying to myself "there is NO WAY I would
blah blah etc adnauseum" when I hear opinions that are opposed to my own.
Thank you for your lucidity.

Peace.

Karp