ADMIN Notes for cohousing-L - down time, full names, unsub info
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:59:45 -0500
The listserver was unintentionally out of service for about 3 days
from about Sat 10/14 to Mon 10/16.  This would account for not getting
expected digests,  the high volume of mail when the server came up etc.

Sorry.

PLEASE USE FULL REAL NAMES ON COHOUSING-L

Recently there have been references like
"I agree with Dan" or  "On Oct 10 Joe said:"
And one subscriber has what sounds like a four letter pseudonym
for his/her "real name" , in the real name field of his/her mailer and
signs posted messages.

Among this list's 500 or so subscribers there are multiple Dan's and
Joe's .  And the level of the discussion here is enhanced by knowing
who said what. (without having to review past messages to decipher
brief references)

Therefore I request the use of full names by posters for themselves
at the end of messages AND in their reference to other posters.  This
list is known for the relatively high quality of the content, civility
of the discussion etc.  Therefore I think this request is appropriate.

BTW it is difficult to guarantee that a "real name" someone uses
on the the Internet is the author's real name (or hints correctly at
their gender for that matter).  But I believe the overwhelming
majority here are truthful.  I met lots of folks at the conference
who seemed very legitimate :)

UNSUBSCRIBE INFO

There have been a couple inappropriate "unsubscribe me" messages
posted to the list lately.  Please do not send these to the list!
You can always ask me for help.

To get off the list send the command:

UNSUBSCRIBE COHOUSING-L
   (Note that no name or argument is required or allowed!)

#############################################################################
#   Send list related COMMANDS            to: listserv [at] uci.com
#   Post messages ABOUT COHOUSING ONLY    to: cohousing-L [at] uci.com
#   Send for help etc. to sysop (a human) to:
#                 cohousing-L-request [at] uci.com ( or  fholson [at] uci.com)
#
#   WWW URL:  http://seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/cohousing.html
#   Gopher:   gopher://gopher.uci.com
#
#   If you are thinking about unsubscribing because of information
#   overload, check out the gopher list archives as a way to read
#   Cohousing-L bbs style without filling up your mailbox.

Thanks,
Fred

--
Fred H. Olson   fholson [at] uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis,MN 55411 Sysop of COHOUSING-L listserv;