Re: Neighbours
From: Willie Schreurs (williefortnet.org)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 09:34:10 -0500
On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Douglas Simons wrote:

> The last point is the one I'd really like to pursue some more.  It
> seems there is a tremendous need to enhance the sense of
> "neighborliness" and community within existing neighborhoods.
>   <followed by many ideas for "retrofit" cohousing and community
development within an existing neigbourhood>

        Hi, Doug.  We miss ya!  I like your thoughts on building community
within existing neighbourhoods.  I certainly think it is a valid and
viable model under the cohousing "umbrella."  One thought on physical
layout: the place that's come up for sale is across the street but I
suggest that it would be easier to build a "cohousing-type" neighbourhood
by looking in the other direction -- into the back yards and across the
alley.  An automobile-biased street forms a (un)natural barrier and is
much more difficult politically to change or block, whereas removal of a
few back fences and some sculpting of the alleyway seems much easier.

  /\                     Willie Schreurs                      /\
 //\\  <willie [at] FortNet.org> or <71500.2232 [at] compuserve.com>   //\\
///\\\   Future Home: Greyrock Commons, Fort Collins, CO    ///\\\