Re: Retrofit Cohousing -- common dining
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 16:42:16 -0500
On Mon, 23 Oct 1995 11:50:53 -0500,
Bruce Koller   <bkoller [at] dvc.edu> wrote:

>Pot lucks, while fine in their own right, do require every household
>participating to get some kind of food together.  Common meals, on the
>other hand, only require participation once in a while.  Since this is
>one of the chief practical advantages of cohousing, shouldn't we start a
>"dinner club" where households take turns making a complete dinner for
>each other, to illustrate the advantages?

Clearly rotating cooking when possible makes sense and that would
possible before a common house is available. I cited potlucks
to represent a first step.

   An intermediate step in retrofit cohousing that
seems likely is to take turns cooking in individual homes
but bring the prepared food to a temporary common space to eat it.  We
have been thinking of a large basement space or a 3 car garage that
could be fixed up minimally to serve this function.  Having some
common space for dining seems quite useful.  It would have a
"neutral" feel rather than a "guest" feel.  Also my house almost
always would require some cleanup effort to be used for a
common meal :)  A common area would seem easier to maintain
availability.  It could also take on more functions -- a place to
have meetings, hang out and socialize etc.

Fred

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson   fholson [at] uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis,MN 55411 Sysop of COHOUSING-L listserv;