Re: Consensus
From: National housing Forum (nhfwn.apc.org)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 02:20:46 -0500
I'm new to this mailing list, and am interested to see how issues do
span oceans!  Consensus has been (as you may well expect) an enormous
issue in South Africa, especially in the housing sector.  When a
housing policy started to be developed (in 1993-94), one of the most difficult
issues to address was the conflict between and among communities
around the allocation of scarce resources, and other development
impact.  A housing capital subsidy was designed to provide families
with a once off capital grant - either as individuals, or as part of
housing development projects.  One of the requirements for housing
proects was that all the relevant stakeholders (the community, the
deveeloper, the banks, the local authority, etc) form a SOCIAL
COMPACT, or an agreement to work together on the development and
maintenance of the housing project.  This is to be an "instituiton"
which represents all the interests and operates on the basis of
consensus - not unlike you are talking about for cohousing.  A new
development is a subsidy directed at cohousing (we call it social
housing) - social compact agreements are also required in
applications for those subsidies.

However, the debate around the value of consensus vs. voting - at
both a macro (all stakeholders in the project) and a micro (the
resident community) level has been raging for a long time.  The
social compact requirement is currently the most criticised feature
of the new subsidy scheme, because it gives newcomers to the projject
the space to derail all previous agreements.... a sort of
"consensus-entitlement" has developed which stalls both delivery and
conflict resolution.

Is anyone interested in this debate?  Does it relate to your
cohousing situations?  Perhaps I can send the initial policy paper
around what social compacts are.....

Kecia Rust
NATIONAL HOUSING FORUM
PO Box 1115, Johannesburg 2000