Re: Seeking advice about forming community
From: Mac Thomson (machappyvalley.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 09:32:05 -0600
On 11/13/95, Ed Self wrote:

> I'm involved with a small group of people who are attempting to
> form an intentional community in Boulder County . . .
>
> Our group has recognized the complexities of formulating a
> comprehensive  legal agreement . . .  We have also recognized that
> there is a  relationship between our choice of legal structure and
> how that  could affect our efforts to obtain financing.
>
> We are seeking any advice or suggested resources (persons to
> contact or publications) which could help us as we formulate a
> legal agreement and pursue financing.  We are also potentially
> interested in hiring a consultant(s) to help us hash out the
> legal and financial aspects of forming community.

Ed,

Your situation indeed does sound complex, especially to me, having no legal
background.  Luckily, you're located in a resource rich area, at least as far
as cohousing is concerned.  I can't give you any specific recomendations
about legal structure, etc, but here are some resources you can check out:
----------------
Rocky Mountain CoHousing Association
1705 14th St #160
Boulder, CO   80302
(303)584-3237

Among other things, the RMCA can provide you with the most recent issue of
the Cohousing Journal, which had a very good introductory article to legal
structures.
----------------
Zev Paiss
Cohousing Consultant with expertise in membership, process, and financing
Zpaiss [at] aol.com
(303)499-8189

Zev has done some work for our group and we've been very happy with his work.
----------------
Bill Love
Real Estate Attorney
225 Canyon Blvd
Boulder, CO   80302
(303)-449-4400

Bill has been involved in the legal structring of 4 cohousing communites in
Colorado that I know of.

I hope this info is useful.  Good luck with your community.

    Mac Thomson                         San Juan Cohousing
    Mac [at] HappyValley.com           Durango, Colorado

  "Every child born into the world is a new thought of God,
           an ever fresh and radiant possiblilty."
                        - Kate Douglas Wiggin

--Sent from HappyValley FirstClass BBS 904.246.9255