Re: developer driven cohousing
From: Mmariner (Mmarineraol.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 12:24:08 -0600
Rob S. said:
I'm not sure [developer-driven cohousing] would work unless you advertised
the relationship aspect to recruit only those who want community, and... some
sort of major orientation, community building sessions.

Rob, I think you have it - developer driven coho might work with the modus
operandi you mention.   In my area there are developers who understand and
support cohousing  (and I don't mean dedicated cohousers like Jim Leach who
did Nyland).

One developer recently had a piece of real estate in Boulder and approached
an existing coho group about building cohousing units above office space.
 There was quite a bit of interaction, then the project didn't happen.  (Zev,
any illumination/comments?)

I'll bet if a developer were to hire consultants with considerable cohousing
knowlege/background, he/she could go ahead and build a development, let the
consultants advertise, recruit and facillitate community building sessions
and the community spirit could prevail.  Course, I'm supremely idealistic.

Anybody have some realism to inject here?  Or, better yet, ways to make
developer-driven coho work?  My opinion:  the grinding, time-consuming
process of resident-driven development has its benefits -- creating community
over time and under duress, but developer driven could be a welcome addition
to the movement.  "Enlightened developers only need apply," right!

Mike M