Re: Undercover??/N St./Condo Conversion
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 11:19:44 -0600
Joani writes:

> Also, N Street didn't have ...the prospect of trying
> to purchase one of the units to turn it into a common house.

Actually, we did turn one of our units into a common house.  About half
of one of them is our common eating, cooking, and meeting areas (while
tenants live in the rest of it).  That house still belongs to our founders
(Kevin Wolf and Linda Cloud).  The community has decided in principle to
buy it from them, but we still haven't managed to get it together to
actually do that.  (Part of the problem is we don't solve any day-to-day
problem we have by buying it - so we aren't motivated to solve the legal
problems it faces us with.)

The process of converting the common house and the process of buying it
have been amongst the most difficult things we have done.  We lost a few
members over the conversion process.

Stuart.