RE: Property Value
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 14:19:29 -0600
> I guess a good question is to ask, Why would cohousing have ANY effect on
> anyone elses property value which would be different in any way than any
> other type of multi-family development?  Compared to other types of
> multi-family housing, I can see no reason why cohousing would have a unique
> impact on property values because its Cohousing

If the cohousing itself becomes more valuable than would be expected on
the basis of its physical nature (because of the social aspects) then it
seems to me that that might translate into higher property values for
neighbours.

And certainly, if cohousing became *less* valuable than would be expected
based on the physical structure (because the social aspects weren't
working), then it seems reasonable that that might drag neighbouring
property values down also.

There is a famous development in Davis, Village Homes, that was designed
with community in mind, strong use of environmental technology of various
kinds.  It has a very strong social spirit (though it isn't an intentional
community as such, and predates cohousing in this country).  Their property
values have gone ballistic.  It would be interesting to know if this had
any effect on the price of regular suburban houses right next to Village
Homes.  (Not that I'm promising to do the hard work to find out).

It seems to me probably a bit premature to draw much conclusion about what
happens to Cohousing property values as such.

Stuart.
Stuart Staniford-Chen                   | Dept of Computer Science
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu                    |   UC Davis, CA 95616
h:(916) 756-8697; w:(916) 754-8742      |          and
http://seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/ | N St Cohousing Community
  • Property Value Dan Ardoin, December 13 1995
    • RE: Property Value Rob Sandelin (Exchange), December 14 1995
    • RE: Property Value Stuart Staniford-Chen, December 14 1995