Philosophy, class and other sundry topics
From: kchiancone (kchianconenextel.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 14:49:28 -0600
          Hello:
          I am new to this list and subscribed to engage in
          intelligent discussions on cooperative housing, intentional
          families, etc, etc. What I am surprised(?) at in my limited
          exposure to this group is the rather discouraging flaming
          that seems to go on between the "Yuppies" and the
          "Leftists".  Please, the idea of co-housing is to EXPAND the
          definitions of community not limit them.

          It takes a certain amount of different types of people to
          build a community. The act of labeling, while very British
          and American, is not very constructive to this dialogue. Can
          we please have a civilized and polite (yes, I know that the
          term polite is not in vogue nowadays) discussion between all
          parties.

          Tony can refrain from his explaining about his "obsessive"
          personal identification and worth with material ownership
          (why Americans pay that much money for a german taxi cab is
          beyond me - chalk it up to thirty years of good german
          advertising and american gullibility) and Scott can refrain
          from his leftist screaming fits would make a much better
          atmosphere in which to communicate.

          Maybe if we can all understand and accept the political
          differences between us versus harping on them would further
          the discourse important to this group.  I am an American who
          grew up overseas and have been back in this country for 10
          years. I still don't understand nor do I accept the rancor
          and nastiness that have gripped both the Left and Right in
          this country. Stop whining and get on with it. Stop sweating
          the small sh-t and start COOPERATING. The idea is to find
          intelligent and constructive ways to BUILD community
          composed of different types of people.

          The rich will have to find ways to support (why has this
          word become such a bad word in this country) the lesser or
          poor and the poor will learn to find ways that make their
          labors productive and equitably shareable in the community,
          so that the rich can see the fruits of their labor in
          returns they can relat to. Both sides will have to LEARN to
          give up certain dogmas and selfish and self-absorbed
          concerns in order to get along. Deal with it.

          Thank you,
          Ken Chiancone