RE: Economic SUpport in Cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 11:24:49 -0600
Mike Mariner wrote asking if any cohousing groups provided any sort of
economic support during hard times for members.

I am unaware of any cohousing groups which provide, or would be willing to
provide direct economic support for their members. One of the basic
unwritten, but very real tenets of cohousing is economic self reliance.
There are lots of work at home, or self employed folks living in cohousing
but I have heard of
no cohousing groups which have community run businesses which employ
members.  Of course I don't hear or know about everything either so I would
be grateful to learn of any which do.

In that most cohousing groups are set up as condominiums, with individuals
being responsible for their own mortgage, it requires more direct support
than in a coop situation with a group mortgage, where the group can adjust
the payments of everyone a little bit to cover for a non-paying share.

I would think that a group which would do this for each other would be
pretty close community, more so than most cohousing that I am aware of.

At Winslow there was a woman who couldn't pay her share of the group
mortgage and was eventually evicted by the group, a very painful thing for
all involved.  (There was a lot more to it other than just the fact that she
didn't pay her mortgage).

My general impression is that the mortgages in most built from scratch
cohousing projects are so high, that it would be a pretty big burden for the
group to assume someone elses mortgages, at least for long unless you had a
group mortgage.

For several years at Sharingwood we had an account for the commonhouse which
accumulated several thousand dollars.   We paid large assessments (such as
the survey, legal or road paving bills) out of this account and let those
who couldn't pay right away borrow from that account.  Of course now that
the commonhouse is under construction, all those funds are used up.

One idea I have heard about is for a percentage of the profit from sale of a
unit go into a community rainy day fund.  That way, as units sell, part of
the profit goes back into the community and an account gets built up which
the community could use as a loan fund or support or whatever. (We don't do
Rainy day funds in WA, they get spent too soon....)

At Sharingwood we had one person who was perpetually in economic decline,
who borrowed tens of thousands of dollars from a couple of members, got
foreclosed on by the bank and dissappeared, bailing on his debts to the
community members.  He just got hauled to court on some other related
matters in another part of the state, and we all found out he owes LOTS of
people, lots of money.  Mr. Bad debt.

So I would advise compassion and commonsense when loaning group money to
help out individuals.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood