Re: Laid-off folks on site?
From: MelaSilva (MelaSilvaaol.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 09:45:23 -0600
We have had that happen here at Southside Park in Sacramento. In most cases
it was 1 adult in a 2 adult household . We have discussed the possibility
several times of making loans. A few loans are happening now, between
individual people instead of the whole community. Many times loans were
offered without being asked. It is much easier, and payback more flexible
(sometimes being partially worked off) between individuals rather than
getting the whole community involved. And the loaner recieves the interest.
This might sound very threatening to people who are not yet in cohousing. One
of the amazing things is, when you have agonized over details with the same
folks for 5 years, you trust each other! We are not best friends with 40
people, but we sure know a lot about each other from observation at meeting,
cooking together, etc. Recently we hired one underemplyed member to restain
decks and clean gutters. It was much cheaper than the bids we got, he was
very happy to do the work, and so both sides benefitted. So often we find
that is the key. No one wants a one sided deal. All of these things work much
better when both sides benefit.