Re: Calling all Unitarian/Universalists in CoHo Land
From: Bob's Cohousing Mailbox (cohowings.network.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 10:26:43 -0600
On Fri, 29 Dec 1995 00:57:07 -0600,
Joani Blank  <jeblank [at] hooked.net > wrote:
>that the most logical sponsor for such a session--you have to have an
>official sponsor--would be the UUJEC, UUs for a Just Economic Community, a

Here in Minneapolis, several members of the First Universalist church
are residents in Mococo -- Monterey CoHousing Community.  I'll forward
a contact to Joani by private mail.  However, this touches upon a
topic which interests me greatly -- Unitarian-Universalism and
Cohousing.

For those unfamiliar, UUism is a creed-less religion, meaning that no
particular 'faith' must be adhered to in order to be a member.  The
emphasis in UUism is more on the "religous journey", the fostering of
spiritual growth under whatever faith.  Atheists like myself,
agnostics like my wife, and pagans all rub elbows with adherents to
more traditional Western religions during Sunday services.

Where this dovetails with cohousing is the UUist emphasis on social
activism, building communities, and the respect for diverse views.
These are elements crucial to Cohousing (especially if one accepts the
deliberate construction of a new social entity as "social activism").

What is the history of Unitarian-Universalism in Cohousing?  Are UU's
overrepresented in cohousing communities (considering their
vanishingly small numbers in the world at large)?  Does UU-cohousing
cross over the line into an "intentional community"?

--
Bob Alberti's Cohousing Mailbox                coho [at] wings.network.com
Network Systems Corp.                         bob.alberti [at] network.com