RE: parents and kids in cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 11:51:52 -0600
A couple of years ago I wrote an article for the Eastside parents, a monthly
newspaper for parents.  The main themes I covered were:
1. How great it is to live in a place where all the adults look after the
kids
2. How great it is to be an adult with no kids and have access to them.
3. Kids get major benefits from having non-related adults to learn from and
to have as friends
4. Cohousing kids learn cooperation and conflict resolution from their
parents in community and then apply those learnings in the world.
5. How nice it is to have a bunch of other parents to talk to about raising
kids and commiserate with.

I would also add in addition:
Parenting in cohousing means you don't need to have a second kid just to
have a sibling for the first - lots of sibling relationships in cohousing
neighborhoods.
Home-schooling opportunities are marvelous in cohousing
Childcare is easy
Community can buffer relationship problems between parents.

Examples of each available upon request.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood