Re: Kids in cohousing
From: gpye (gpyeunity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 15:47:50 -0600
Greetings!  I'm a lurker here in Durham/Chapel Hill, NC and
I'm writing because Greg Bamford's message stirred up some
memories for me that relate to this discussion of kids in cohousing:

I spent my first 7 years in a trailer park in Charlotte.  It was not an
intentional community, and I don't remember whether it was particularly
transient or not.  What I do remember is that there were no "yards", no
specific borders where you "couldn't" go.  There was virtually no traffic
on the trailer park circle, so we played games and went back and forth
between each other's houses with ease and without a great deal of
supervision.  I absolutely loved it,  and didn't realize that
the whole world wasn't like that.

At age 7, we moved to a "neighborhood" with streets with cars and
backyards with fences and I remember feeling major culture shock (though
I'm sure I couldn't articulate what was going on at the time).  Suddenly, I
had to be "invited" before I could go into someone else's yard.  Things were
much more formal and where I'd easily made friends with all ages before, here
kids seemed to have "groups" to which you had to earn membership.   You
get the idea.  It was a tough transition.

In other words, I think the informality and having a safe place to play
and everybody knowing everybody were incredibly valuable and it's worth
it to me to spend the effort in developing our own cohousing group
because I feel like it's possible to get that as an adult (and for my
kids as well).  Note:  I do have a lot of this informality and caring
with my friends (both coho and non-coho), but the geographic distances
keep us from interacting as easily as if we had cohousing.

BTW,  I love the Cohousing Stories we've been hearing lately. They
are very inspirational.  Thanks!  Would love to hear more!

Ginger W. Long
Mimosa Grove Cohousing (MoGo CoHo), Chapel Hill/Durham, NC
gpye_Long [at] ncsu.edu

"No matter where you go, there you are."    --Buckaroo Banzai