Santa Rosa Cohousing
From: Joel Woodhull (jwoodhulligc.apc.org)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 00:16:14 -0600
The coho group in Sonoma County that is furthest along is Acacia
Cohousing of Santa Rosa.  Their work is so intensive right now
that they have little time for internet participation.  On their
behalf I am posting the following excerpts from their newsletter.

Joel Woodhull
Sebastopol

Developer Gives Go-Ahead for Acacia Project

The developer for the Courtside Village development in west Santa
Rosa, with which the Acacia Cohousing Group made tentative
agreements last summer, has agreeed to submit our site plan for
Tentative Map revision to the City of Santa Rosa.  The developer
was so impressed with Acacia's recruitment efforts and by the
growth of the group that they (the developer) felt comfortable
making the commitment to build the first cohousing development in
Sonoma County.

Acacia has incorporated as a non-profit mutual benefit
corporation, and the official name for our group is now Park
Acacia Cohousing, Inc.

Group Gains Membership

We have five new households, bring our total up to eleven, with
many other households expressing interest in joining soon.  We
also have a number of households that plan on joining after the
next few months when they become more comfortable with financing
and time commitments.

Some individuals have expressed a desire for sharing a unit with
others, allowing those with lower incomes to become owners in
Acacia.  We have also been approached by potential investors
interested in buying and renting out units, giving another
alternative for allowing those with lower incomes to get into
cohousing.

Common House, Private House Plans Completed

In addition to completing our site plan and beginning work on the
landscape design, we have completed the programming and basic
design for our common house.  It includes a kitchen and dining
room, a sitting room, laundry facilities, and a large children's
room, as well as an upstairs guest room, crafts room and view
deck.

We have also completed many of the designs for the private homes,
which include plans for 4 BR, 3 BR/2.5 bath, 3 BR/2 bath, 2 BR
and 1 BR units.

Winter Event Schedule

All events are at the Countryside Racquet Club at 3950 Sebastopol
Road (near Hwy 12 and Wright Road in Santa Rosa) unless otherwise
noted.

Sunday, 1/7. 1:00 pm.  Open Site.  See the site, look over the
plans for our project as well as the Courtside project, and meet
members of the group.  Refreshments served.

Wednesday, 1/17.  7:00 pm.  Bay CHUG Dessert Potluck.  ($5
donation; bring a dessert dish - all are welcome).  We will host
the monthly Bay Cohousing Umbrella Group (from Berkeley), which
will present highlights from the recent National Cohousing
Conference in Colorado.

Thursday, 1/25.  7:00 pm.  Slide Show/Field Trip to The CoHousing
Company in Berkeley.  ($5 donation) Call to reserve space.

Sunday, 2/11.  1:00 pm.  Open Site.

Thursday, 2/15.  7:00 pm.  Slide Show/Orientation.

Saturday, 2/17. (Time and venue to be arranged)  Midwinter
Celebration Social.

Wednesday, 2/21.  7:00 pm.  Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Mixer.