The value(s) of cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 17:32:48 -0600
In my posting I referred to value to mean " a belief system".  In Malanies
posting she seems to be using value to mean " Benefit".   I concur that many
other organizations have and will benefit from cohousings group process
learnings.
One small example I keep seeing over and over again is that cohousers tend
to get pushed into leadership positions in many organizations they join
because they demonstrate an understanding of good meeting process. In poorly
run meetings I tend to "ghost facilitate" by asking people to stay on track,
reviewing points, keeping order, and assigning tasks .  I simply can't sit
through poorly run meetings.  I like to think my efforts are benefical.
Cohousing directly models the "value" of cooperation, a theme I express at
almost any opportunity to speak about cohousing.  Working with others on a
common endeavor, taking everyones interest into account, can become a belief
system in itself.
If cooperation is indeed a "core value", e.g. a belief system that is
central to the sucess of cohousing, are there others?  How about
egalitarian? (Notice I did not say "equality").