Re: Subsidized housing
From: Joani Blank (jeblankhooked.net)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 02:14:17 -0600
Wasatchers,

By all means take that federal subsidy. I went to a meeting where Habitat
For Humanity was trying to recruit low income families to buy subsidized
units in a cohousing community which were selling for only $40,000 (this in
the SF Bay Area!). Yes, families came to the meeting cause the houses were
way cheap, but those who found the cohousing aspects unappealing, (Do you
HAVE to eat community meals? Well no, the meals are voluntary, but most
people who do eat at least some of them find that they really are the glue
that holds the community together) dropped out before they even filled out a
preliminary application. Self-selection out works just as well with limited
income people as with the more affluent, I believe. Whatever the income
level, and whether the resident is an owner or a renter, we will always have
a few people who don't discover until after they move in that this isn't
going to work for them, and I believe that sooner or later, those people
will find another place to live.

Joani
jeblank [at] hooked.net