Being your own developer
From: Mike Malone (MIKEmdh-cc.health.state.mn.us)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:18:36 -0600
It has been three years since we at Monterey CoHousing bought our
property. Now we are about to move in - not a pleasant chore in
Minnesota in the winter time). We acted as our own developer. Most of
us (90%) wished that we had not. No one in our community had any
experience in development or construction when we started, although
late in the process we did gain some members with more experience. We
were unable to interest any developer, including some nonprofits, in
our project. A local bank considers part of its mission to fund
certain high risk community projects and we were able to get a
construction loan and much technical assistance from them. The
consequences for us were: 1) We spent more money due to mistakes than
a developer would have charged. 2) We spent so much time and energy
on development tasks that we had little left over for design issues.
3) We are all burned out and there is little joy (just yet) over
moving in.
Groups that are considering acting as their own developers need to
take inventory of the skills of the current members, the amount of
time and energy people will be able to devote to the project, and
finally what the trade-offs will be.

Mike Malone
Cancer Control Section
Minnesota Department of Health
Internet address:  michael.malone [at] health.state.mn.us
Phone: (612)623-5670
Fax: (612)623-5520