RE: Including People With Disabilities?
From: Michael John Omogrosso (omodarkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 08:55:13 -0600
Cudos to Brian Sullian for asking the oft avoided question "Is my
statement PC (offensive to you whom I am talking about)?"

Several years back as a community college newspaper editor defending
people  who use wheelchairs from the hurried inconsiderates charging
infront of them into elevators and the like, I used the term wheelchair
bound.  My friend, who I observed this very thing happen to, respondeded
rather harshly.  "I do not sleep in my chair, nor do I take a bath or
relieve my bowels in it," she said.  I read a flyer she sent me on proper
journalistic referencing of disabled/alterabled descriptors which I passed
it on to my readers in the next editorial.

It all does depend on the group or individual addressed.  If you are
concerned, ask she, he or the specific group (seeing impaired, learning
disabled, head injured...).  There are local, regional, national and
international organizations--most quite likely with net addresses and
even web sites.  Sorry I'm not up on it enough to give directions.

Here are a few suggestions for referencing people with disabilities:
>handicapped is an arcane legal term which acutally means having your cap
in your hand to beg for your existance.  sweet huh?
>disabled is often preffered, yet I know some physically and mentally
challenged folks who surpass me in effort and accomplishment.
>Alter-abled is another option indicating a positive emphasis on abilities
present.
>Madam, sir, Harry, or sweet thang depending on your personal proximity
are the best direct referencing avail-able.
>use slang only as a self reference--many of us are in fact TABS or
TABBIES. Here that as Temporarily Able Bodied.  I'm not quite sure if i
can avoid the TAB label by being a writer who cant spell--What do you think?

Lastly, here at East Blair Housing Coop, we have zero out of 22 units
that are wheelchair accessible, though several could be adapted should a
new or current member have need.  So the above is meant as
freindly information and not as contentious finger pointing.

Love and peace, Michael Om