Cohousing and Individuals With "Disabilities"
From: RJones1006 (RJones1006aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:39:40 -0600
Thanks for all the excellent responses and suggestions to my inquiry
regarding cohousing and individuals with disabilities.  This is my initial
experience with using a list in this way.  I found it quite encouraging and
thought-provoking!

Thus far, most of the responses have focused upon the relationship of
individuals to the physical accessibility of the living environment - i.e.
removing architectural barriers.  Some creative ideas were identified for
retrofitting as well as building-in accessibility features from the outset.
 Other responses pointed out that I am not PC for using the term,
"disability," and that "disabilities" are not limited to physical
functioning.  In addition to those mentioned, other disabilities might be
cognitive or developmental in nature - e.g. mental "retardation" (once again,
not very PC), autism and others.

My next question, then, is to what extent has cohousing been successful in
including people with various disabilities in shared decision-making and
community-building?Are the interdependent relationships to which members of
cohousing communities aspire inclusive of people with severe disabilities
including cognitive and others?  In other words, will people who are usually
regarded by others as having "disabilities" likely to find cohousing
communities more welcoming and inclusive than the society in general?

Thanks again for your help...

Bob Jones