cohousing: self-sufficient community
From: Jessica Shaten (jessicagopher.ccbr.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 12:59:37 -0600

William Thornton raised a couple of issues that are dear to my
heart...namely, the prospect of creating a **village** that minimizes its
dependence on what has become the all-pervasive, planetary system of
industrialized interdependence and which cannot go on forever (it
simply consumes too many non-replacable essential resources to move
massive amounts of stuff around in order to meet basic needs that
for 10,000 years of human history were met at home).

Self-sufficiency requires community;  no one can do it alone.  I began
subscribing to this list because I was aware that the social issues of
creating community out of a culture that has emphasized isolation as the
solution to interpersonal difference and conflict are not easy ones to
address, and I was interested in hearing what others were thinking and
saying about it.  In general, I have been stimulated and informed by the
exchanges I have been reading.

But is there anyone else out there interested in this idea of
village self-sufficiency and long-term sustainability?  It is not
really a co-housing issue per-se (or doesn't need to be), so I don't
want to clog up the list and the e-mail messages raising concerns that
others don't share, but if there are others of like mind, I'd like to
communicate.