Re: Cohousing and Individuals With "Disabilities"
From: Michael John Omogrosso (omodarkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:20:11 -0600
Bob:

PC should be termed "personally centric."  My point is not to say you wer
not PC for you did brave to ask the question of accomodation, but to
sayif you wish to know how to accomodate other-abled folks physically or
socially, ask specific persons or groups: it varies in every case.  I
used the term alterabled in cconversation with a work-injured amputee and
she offendedly said, "I am handicapped."  It is a sticky wicket any way
it is viewed.  Again. that yopu are seeking to be inclusive is glorious!!

TO YOUR ORIGINAL REQUEST...
 East Blair Housing Coop has a poor track record of addressing the issues
and actively seeking other-abled members.  Looking to our own history my
shed some light on problems and potentail answers for the future.

One tenant was memory deficit.  I'm not recalling the medical reason, but
the drugs prescribed for the condition created the memory problem.  As it
turned out, though the tenant was open about the problem, after several
months of meetings consistenly being missed, the  tenant began to fall
out of favor.  NO ONE wanted to take on the responsibility of physicll
reminding this well meaning and quite politically active soul (this
person left the coop under peer pressure which caused a division in the
ranks)

Several years later another tenant with an ailment which sapped energy,
leving them prone to illness, joined EBHC.  We must have learned
something, for arrangements for missed meetings due to medical reasons
now exist.

There must be a commitment from the community to provide added energy if
the intent of the community is to provide support for other-abled
neighbors--particularly if the condition is advanced or severe.  THe
level of support must be clearly understood by all members, otherwise
discontent will rot a splended idea and one that suits the mission of
coops and coho alike.

Peace, Bob.

Come and visit at the Oregon Country Fair this summer(Community Village,
Spirit Booth, Om Circle--just ask for OM).