Re: Newly married couples in cohousing
From: baschel (baschelksg1.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:23:55 -0600
Last week, MFN asked about recently married couples and first time
homebuyers in cohousing.

I'm getting married this summer, and my fiance and I have been
looking at the Cambridge Cohousing group.  We've put the decision on
hold until we have a better idea what our life will look like next
year. (I'm finishing grad school this spring, and need to find a
job).  However, we had several concerns that might be of general
interest:

    1.  If we joined, we would be the youngest people in the group by
at least five years.  We kept on double-taking when people in the
group referred to people in their thirties with children as "young
couples."  I suppose it's accurate, but what does that make us?

    2.  If we're going to join a cohousing group, we'd want to get a
house that was big enough that we wouldn't have to move if we had
children, particularly since the probability of being able to trade
up within the project is not terribly high.  But that would mean
buying a larger house than we really need/can afford right now.

    3.  Because of the age gap, and because we aren't planning on
having children for a while, if we have children they would likely be
the youngest children in the housing by a significant margin.  Having
been the youngest in my extended family, I know that this can be
problematic.

   I realize that there's not much a cohousing group can do about
these concerns.  The basic problem, as with most of these "diversity
issues" is money - - not many people in our age range can afford to
buy a house.  We're very lucky in that Tony's folks would be willing
to help us out on the downpayment as a wedding present, and even with
that I have to admit that the idea of investing more than 100 percent
of our net worth on something that is somewhat risky absolutely
terrifies me.

    4.  Because we are at the start of our careers, there is a real
possibility that for job or educational reasons, we would have to
move within three to five years.  Cohousing, particularly when it is
just being developed, appears to be a significantly less liquid
investment even than regular housing, which isn't terribly liquid.

    For these reasons, I would be very surprised to learn that there
were many people in similar circumstances in cohousing.  If I'm
wrong, I'd love to hear more about what their experiences have been.

    In spite of all this, we're still seriously considering
cohousing, because we're both terribly hungry for community.

    Elizabeth"No one has the right to despair.
 We all share the responsibility to hope." -- Oscar Romero