Build where the kids are
From: Mmariner (Mmarineraol.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 10:32:15 -0600
I've heard several cohousing groups say they have trouble attracting families
with kids, even though it would seem they would be prime beneficiaries of the
cohousing environment -- on site childcare, a safe(r) play environment,
multiple adult role models, etc.

I personally wouldn't want to live where the overwhelming majority were a
single  demographic type:  empty nestors, retireds, singles, or young
married's.  The magic is in the mix, methinks.

That brings me back to some previous logic -- why not build/retrofit the coho
site where the kids are -- in existing blocks, apt. buildings, condo
complexes, whatever -- wherever they are in your area?

It also seems that lower income single moms (or dads) who live in said areas
might put in "sweat equity" in ways appropriate for them, e.g., childcare for
other working parents or gardening or home office work or cleaning.
 Hopefully part of the deal would be to receive apprenticeships or education
to help them move into better paying jobs, if so desired.

Mike M