resale issues and practices
From: Marci Malinowycz (SoDancemsn.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:37:50 -0600
I'd like to bring up, again, the subject of resale of a unit. Here at Puget
Ridge Cohousing in Seattle, we are preparing for the first turnover since we
moved in almost 2 years ago. I know the topic of resale was discussed awhile
ago, but now, with more members on this list and with more experience among
the communities out there, I'd like to hear some examples of how existing
groups handle a resale. At this time, I'm not so much interested in untried
ideas that oughta work, but rather actual practices that do work (or, if they
don't, why you think that's the case). Also, I'm interested in
already-moved-in communities, rather than those who are still building up
their membership.

Also, as the list is going down for a few weeks, I invite you to send your
replies to me directly, at SoDance [at] msn.com (please cc me at my other
address,
marcim [at] microsoft.com). I'll compile this research and resend it after the
server is back up. Thank you.

(About the available unit: We're not ready to announce it yet, but meanwhile
I'm collecting names of people who have already expressed an interest in our
community. If you are one such, you can email me, or call me, Marci
Malinowycz, at home at 206-763-2623.)

Do you have a right of first refusal? Do you exercise it? In all cases? How do
you select a designee? If you don't have first refusal, do you have other
controls over the choice of a new resident?

If you do not have any legal controls, what agreements or practices do you
have to ensure that a prospective buyer is informed? What orientation do you
offer, and what materials do you give out? How much time takes place between
initial inquiry and a written offer? How many people go through the
informational stages for each one offer that is finally made? How do you
handle the marketing? What part does the seller do, and what part does the
community take on?

How do you handle the transition once the sale is done? How do you incorporate
the new member into the community? What do you do to help the other residents
adjust to the change?

What have you learned after handling more than one unit resale?