Ideology. How much, what kind?
From: Joani Blank (jeblankhooked.net)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 19:53:44 -0600
Goodness knows, I don't want to start up the ideology wars all over again.
S'matter of fact, they bore me quite a bit. Suffice it to say that I know
that there is a good deal of cohousing ideology (I personally buy into
virtually all of it) some of it shared by all coho communities, and other
pieces belonging to just one community. But perhaps because our ideology
differs quite markedly (IMHO) from those assumed to be shared in an
intentional community, most outsiders (not just banks, etc., but also just
plain folks including prospective members) may need to hear the party line
about "no political or religious ideology" to stick around long enough to
learn more.

As for myself, I don't need to have all the members of my cohousing group
even agree about what cooperation means or what community means, for that
matter. I know people in cohousing who cook the meals they are assigned to
cook, do their assigned maintenance tasks, attend monthly meetings, say a
cordial hello when they meet up with their neigbors, and interact very
little when they attend common meals. That's about it. Do I want more
interaction than this for myself. You bet! Is it okay with me that some of
these folks also live in my community? Of course.

Joani
Doyle St. and Old Oakland, CA