RE: legal structure: varys with state laws
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 10:53:24 -0600
My friend Buzz wrote:

>Therefor, I strongly recommend Cascadia Cohousing become an LLC.  This
>is the
>legal instrument that accountants are putting many of their clients
>into
>nowadays.  A Limited Liability Company has Members, not Shareholders,
>and the
legal and financial aspects are quite similar.

I would point out that WA state, which is where Cascadia Cohousing is
from, has no such thing as an LLC.  Laws governing partnerships,
incorporation, condos, coops, etc. are all state juristiction, with wide
variation amoung the states.  If you are going to get specific legal
form advise and sample documents, get them from the groups in the state
you are building your development in.  Every state has its own laws
regarding property ownership and you can waste a lot of time figuring
details which will not work with your state laws.

There are most likely some common denominator progamming sorts of legal
issues which cut across all states. You could break most legal ownership
details down into a series of questions and then get the answers from
your own state.I keep hoping some bright person will draw that list up
for us someday, sure would be useful

Rob
Sharingwood.