Re: community land trust
From: Michael Omogrosso (omodarkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:36:51 -0500
On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Rachel Freifelder wrote:

> I am quite interested in CLTs and have read enough to generally know what
> they are about.  From what I've seen so far it's a great way to serve the
> goals Michael described.  But on that note-I was wondering if anyone knew
> of any _disadvantages_ of the CLT.
>
> Rachel R. Freifelder
> "To create community we need to love each other, trust each other and help
> each other; that is hard."
> --Wendell Berry

Rachel, As you have probably seen, there are some small disadvantages to
CLTs which are apparent.  Funding difficulties for inital purchase of
the land and for residents' buy in, no real estate windfall from resale and
organizational disfunctionality  that threatens any volunteer or
nonprofit group are a few.

Your signature Quote says the didfuculties in a nutshell, but also
expresses why we need to look beyond the hardships. Community is how we
will survive the future.  Land held in community trust is not for
everyone, how about you?