Re: Web practices
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:31:49 -0500
Rob Sandelin wrote:

> It is interesting how wide spread the web and its material is
> becoming. I was having lunch with my sister in a small Seattle
> restaurant and a person at the next table heard my name and said to
> me, Oh, Your Rob Sandelin? I read your stuff on the web!

Mmmm. I've had a number of experiences of this kind. Several years ago,
when I was first making myself a home page, I put quite a bit of
biographical information about myself in there. At the time, nobody
except other engineers and scientists like me paid attention to the Web.
I had started the Cohousing Web Pages, but all the hits were generated
by me. But *now*, the result is that total strangers come up to me and
say, "Oh, you're Stuart? .." and then they know all about my life
history.

I was quite comfortable with the idea that people I would never meet
would know something about me. I was not prepared for the idea that
people who I *would* eventually meet would know a lot about me before
meeting me. I can hardly complain - I put the information up there.

Stuart.

Stuart Staniford-Chen           |        N St Cohousing, Davis, CA
stanifor [at] cohousing.org             |       Cohousing Network Webweaver

  • Web practices Rob Sandelin (Exchange), April 23 1996
    • Re: Web practices Stuart Staniford-Chen, April 24 1996