Re: Examiner article/Fairfax "cohousing
From: Rachel Freifelder (rrfreifelderucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:16:29 -0500
In following this discussion, I am a little distressed by some of the
attitudes I perceive (though, as always with text communication it is
easy to misconstrue someone's intent).  I understand the concern of those
trying to get cohousing projects approved in the mainstream climate that
prefers isolated single-family homes, especially in affluent communities
that are concerned that any kind of shared housing will bring in a bunch
of low-lifes and reduce their property values.  But it disturbs me that
in cohousers' efforts to gain that acceptance, they often join the
mainstream in denigrating other types of shared housing.  This ranges
from the classic "Cohousing: It's not a Commune" motto to getting upset
when a reporter erroneously calls a cooperative household "cohousing".
Why assume that adults, single mothers or otherwise,who live
cooperatively are "homeless people getting on their feet"?  To be sure this
may be true of some of these projects but not all.  This phrasing implies that
the cooperative situation is not intended to be a permanent home but
merely a transitional state preceding something more respectable, such as
separate housing.  God forbid adults would choose to share a kitchen for any
reason other than financial need.

An aside: it is possible to fit the definition of cohousing and still
include cooperative households; I don't know whether this is true of the
"Vest Pocket" projects or not.  At N Street, over half the households
include unrelated adults who share a kitchen and meals.  No one (I think)
denies that we are cohousing.  For that matter,there are a number of
intentional communities, some more respectable than others, which fit the
definition of cohousing in that they consist of several separate
structures with their own bathrooms, kitchens and living rooms, plus one
main house with a large kitchen and dining room.

I do not mean to attack Marty's comments particularly, as I don't know
that much about Innovative Housing.  But as someone who believes deeply
that shared housing in its many forms offers great good to both the well
being of our society and to our limited resources, I would like to see
cohousing as the beginning of its growing acceptance, rather than
alienated from the rest of the shared living movement.

Rachel R. Freifelder
N Street CoHousing, Davis, CA
"To create community we need to love each other, trust each other and help
each other; that is hard."
--Wendell Berry

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996 MartyR707 [at] aol.com wrote:

<snip>

> Should we call them
> on it? Innovative Housing is a nonprofit affordable housing organization.  I
> don't know much about them.  I think Katie Mc... of the Cohousing book knows
> Dan Solomon, the architect.  We could ask her to get on his case - or at
> least tell us more about it.
>
> The article does imply that several families share the same kitchen which
> could cause us trouble with our image.

<snip>

> I know of other Innovative Housing projects where they buy a large house and
> then several families rent it together to save on rent - often single
> mothers.  It's used often to get homeless people on their feet.

<snip>