Financing for Alternative Building Technologies
From: Mac Thomson (ganeshrmi.net)
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 13:55:33 -0500
We just had a mortgage banker speak to our group about getting a home
mortgage in a cohousing community.  He felt that a loan for a home in
cohousing should present no special problems.  But then we got into the
issue of financing homes built using alternative technologies. (:-<)

When he asked who in the group was considering alternative building
technologies, everyone raised their hands.  He then went on to explain
that receiving financing for a house incorporating alternative building
technologies would be very difficult.  The problem is that loans are
made based on the appraised value of a home and appraisals are based on
recent sales in the area of comparable homes.  And since there are
almost no sales of comparable homes, they can¹t give a loan for
non-conventional housing.

What have any of you done to creatively finance "experimental" building
methods?  THis could be a real sticking point for a number of households
in our group.

--
           Mac Thomson                   San Juan Cohousing
           ganesh [at] rmi.net                Durango, Colorado

"If war is the violent resolution of conflict,
  then peace is not the absence of conflict,
  but rather,
  the ability to resolve conflict without violence."
                         - C.T. Lawrence Butler