Importance of logos in marketing
From: Diane Simpson (dqsworld.std.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:09:13 -0500
I don't have any studies from Seigel & Gale to back me up, but as a graphic
designer, I feel that the overall consistency of your pieces is more
important than the logo. You don't want to design one piece using Helvetica
and then another one using Triplex. Also the "look and feel" of the pieces
should be consistent--don't make one using lots of white space and then the
next one cram everything in because you want to save paper. It would be a
good idea to sit down as a group and plan your advertising campaign first.
What is the biggest newspaper/magazine you're likely to advertise in? What
is the smallest? You should design for the smallest ad, and resize up from
there--it's very difficult to keep the layout consistent while resizing
down. Are you going to have to do horizontal layouts or vertical? or both?
Figure this out before you start sending in your advertisements. Are the
publications 1 color, 2-color, or 4-color? Plan your color palette in
advance so that if you design something for 4-color you can easily
translate it to 1 or 2-color. My advice: simple is better. Do you have a
Pantone book? You will need one in order to communicate with your printer
about what colors you want if you are planning on doing 2-color jobs.

The AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Ats) puts out this great little
book called "Graphic Design for Non-Profit Organizations" It was written
and designed by one of the all-time greats in graphic design, Massimo
Vignelli. I'll get you the address if you're interested. There's also
another book that would be very helpful, "Looking Good in Print" by Roger
Parker.

I have to go now, husband-man awaits.

"Whine, whine...get off that boob-tube!"

See ya round, like a donut!

       @@
      @@@@              Diane Simpson  dqs [at] world.std.com