RE: RE Diversity
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 10:59:17 -0500
Interestingly enough, a single black women has joined our community. I
asked her the very question Buzz suggested,  Why do you want to live
with us?  No surprise, her answer was exactly the same as everybody
elses. She wanted a secure place for her daughter to grow up, liked the
beautiful woods we have, and enjoyed the comraderie of a cooperative
group. She clearly understood that she was the only black person, not
just in our happy little neighborhood, but in the much larger
neighborhood around us. Doesn't concern her at all. But then again, no
surprise, like the rest of us, she is a very exceptional person. I hope
she sticks around and follows through on her goals.

Diversity is one of those words which has a multitude of meanings.
Having a single black woman does not nescessarily make Sharingwood any
more "diverse" although I acknowlege that some peoples definition of
diversity means non-white, non-male, non-christian.

Even if we are all black, single female parents, we would still be
enourmously diverse. We have people who are helpers, people who are
leaders, people who are deep thinkers, people who are reacters, people
who like to cook, people who don't like to cook, people who love to grow
things, people who like to play, people who hate spiders, people who
love snakes. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The package on the outside gives little indication of the contents on
the inside. If the insides were all the same it would not be diverse, no
matter how many colors the package came in.

One last thought. I very much beleive that the people who live in
community are superior, more intelligent and in general a better class
of people than the average American. Elitest of me aint it.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood
(Where the diversity of my neighbors sometimes drives me crazy)