RE: Marketing Tips
From: Debbie Behrens (debbehauto-trol.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:29:55 -0500
We (Rocky Mtn CoHousing Assn) had a booth in a local Denver
fair a month ago.  It's a popular area fair that attracts
over 300 thousand people in 2 days.  We talked to over 300
people, and gave out literature from many of our area groups.
We were able to get in at a reasonable cost cause we are
nonprofit.  We also had a booth tent available - invaluable
for hot sunny days, and rainy ones too.

To give you an idea of costs:
The booth reservation for us was $100, plus another ~$100 for
photocopies, and another ~$50 for other expenses.  We
already had a display frame built for our pictures and stuff,
which probably cost us about $150 last year.
(The display frame I made was of PVC covered in fabric)
Tent rental for a weekend is $75.
Photos, foam core, etc for display items cost a bit too,
but we had most of it from last year.
In your area, costs may be a little different.  It takes
several volunteers if you want to give each other breathers.

Some of these big area fairs bring in lots of
people, and if you could put an attractive booth together,
you might be able to target quite a few people who would be
interested.  Many of the people who came to the booth actually
had heard of cohousing.  Does your area have any kind of a
county fair later this summer or in the fall?   - It could
take several months to put a booth together the first time, but
well worth the effort in the long run.

Something like this could be a precursor to a Cohousing Fair
such as what RobSan mentioned a couple weeks ago.

Also, if the local college does adult ed classes, run a
cohousing class periodically using their catalog for advertising.

                            ~___~
                            (0 0)
 |  Debbie Behrens                              debbeh [at] auto-trol.com |
 |  Highline Crossing CoHousing                      W (303)252-2215 |
 |   1611 W. Canal Ct Littleton CO 80120             Fx(303)252-2249 |
 |  Rocky Mountain Cohousing Assn                    H (303)797-7779 |
 |      All opinions expressed are mine, and do not necessarily      |
 |   reflect the opinions of Highline Crossing or RMCA in general.   |

  • RE: Marketing Tips Rob Sandelin (Exchange), June 25 1996
    • RE: Marketing Tips Debbie Behrens, July 8 1996