RE: Question
From: Conkling, Rowena (Conklingvolpe1.dot.gov)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:26:52 -0500

Hi Donna

Our group is currently called Cambridge Cohousing - very dull but we haven't
had time to deal with picking a new name.  One of our households happens to
consist of the partners in Oaktree, Inc., and Oaktree is acting as our
developer.  The group started in January 1995, I came aboard about a year
ago, and we went through two sites until we found our current site early
this year.  We have a P&S on the site on Richdate Ave. in Cambridge, a few
minutes from Porter Square, and expect to close September 9.  At this time
we are holding meetings several times a week on design matters (I thnk the
architect really appreciates the input from the group, we certainly
appreciate seeing our ideas respected), completing our membership (25 full,
4 prospective, 12 to go), and financing (we have the purchase price,
long-term affodability is still a problem), sustainability (we are probably
going with the Eco-Design Housing), etc.

Cornerstone isbasically an Arlington group, although most recently they were
looking at a Cambridge site (I understand the owner/developer pulled out).
 They have been working for several years with the Cohousing Center in
Watertown.  A couple of Cornerstone households recently joined Cambridge
Coho.

We've been so busy getting the community off the ground, we haven't had much
time for hanging on the Web, etc.  Once we have our permit and construction
is starting we'll be able to lay back a bit.  I think our group has
attracted type-A people or something.  The core group members all seemed to
feel that working together was the best way to get to know each other in
depth - we've now got some new members who are much more into  socializing
and, guess what, the original members like it just fine.  We just had a
week-end "retreat" on the Cape where we got a lot of "community-building"
work done and also had a blast - turns out there are a lot of music makers
in the group as well as some terrific cooks!

Rowena
I now have my own e-mail address:  Rowenac [at] worldnet.att.net