Differential pricing
From: Mike Malone (mikemdh-cc.health.state.mn.us)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:27:04 -0500
We at MoCoCo* did use differential pricing and find that it did work
fairly well. We do not have standardized units, so part of the
difference is size and design.  All of our units have some sort of value adjustm
ent
 for siting built in. For example, our site is also on top of a glacial moraine
and
some sites look over an attractive wooded slope. We assigned a higher base price
 to these sites.  Our primary motivation for doing this was to
finance the new development and rehab of the existing building ("The
Mansion"). By charging more for some sites we were able have those
members with more financial resources pay for a larger share of the
development and get some additional value without any community outlay
of money (pure profit). As a result we have some very inexpensive
units. The danger in this process is that a hierarchy based on
financial ability can be created. So far this has not happened, but
we are still young.

* MoCoCo is Monterey CoHousing Community in St. Louis Park, MN.

Mike Malone
Cancer Control Section
Minnesota Department of Health
Internet address:  michael.malone [at] health.state.mn.us
Phone: (612)623-5670
Fax: (612)623-5520