pricing differentials
From: Judy (BAXTERepivax.epi.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 16:57:11 -0500
I agree with Mike Malone, who wrote:

"We at MoCoCo* did use differential pricing and find that it did work  fairly
well. We do not have standardized units, so part of the  difference is size and
design.  All of our units have some sort of value adjustm ent for siting built
in. For example, our site is also on top of a glacial moraine and  some sites
look over an attractive wooded slope. We assigned a higher base price to these
sites.  "

However I have a slightly different take on Why.

Mike says,
"Our primary motivation for doing this was to  finance the new
development and rehab of the existing building ("The  Mansion"). "

As  member of the Finance Team, I think the idea was more of fairness - those
units are more desirable, more valuable,  would presumably have higher resale
values, and therefore, had a "site adjustment factor" built in. As we all know,
memories vary. And so does the concept of fairness.

Judy

* MoCoCo is Monterey CoHousing Community in St. Louis Park, MN.

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu
-- Resident of the "mansion"- the 1st 8 homes in a rehab Georgian building built
as a retirment home in 1924 -
-- 7 new townhouses (additions to the community) are done! - and occupied, one
is for sale or rent Aug 1- 3 BR, 2 car tuck under garage,