RE: "What is (or isn't) cohousing" revisited.
From: Bruce Koller (bkollerdvc.edu)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 20:03:55 -0500
On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Rob Sandelin (Exchange) wrote:

> I continue to want to fall back to defining cohousing with some notion
> of the residents having the expectation of a close community that works
> cooperatively.  This would clearly separate out physical design issues
> as a defining point (lots of condos could be called cohousing by their
> pedestrian designs).

Rob,

First, sorry for being so tardy with my response.  (Moving into Muir
Commons knocked me off the net for a while but I really wanted to respond
to this issue.)

I must take issue with your definition.  I think physical design issues
are rightly part of what cohousing entails.  While your definition above
does take in cohousing, it also applies to many other types of
intentional community.  I think Chuck and Katie's working definition says
it well:

1) Participatory process
2) Intentional neighborhood design
3) Extensive common facilities
4) Complete resident management

If you know of a lot of condos that meet all of the above criteria, I'd say
cohousing is definitely mainstream already.

p.s. Don't take this as an attack (I really enjoy your perspective on
things) but I have to ask: Have you read the cohousing book?  You
seem to be equating cohousing with intentional
community.  I would say that there is a continuum of intentional
community from rather loose (little ideological/belief consensus) to
tight (common religious/spiritual beliefs).  From what I've heard, most all
the cohousing communities in
Denmark are very low on the ideology scale (i.e. don't require lots of
buy-in on political or spiritual beliefs in order to live in them).

I guess I find cohousing more a "kinder, gentler" type of condo rather
than a
beliefs-centered intentional community.  Its advantages for me are intensely
practical,
rather than spiritual.  Maybe I'm just less in touch with my spiritual
side... {:^)

Bruce Koller
Muir Commons (slogan: Just a darn good condo.)
bkoller [at] viking.dvc.edu