Re: Unit pricing differential: request for info
From: Willie Schreurs (williefortnet.org)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 23:22:47 -0500
On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Harriet Talan wrote:

> We would like to know if any other projects have had differential pricing
> for units based on individual unit location  or other factors.  Of
> course, the base price will be determined  by square footage and
> materials, etc.
>
> Assuming base costs are identical, but some units are located in what is
> considered usually a more desirable location offering a "better
> view" of a canyon or are farther away from street and parking traffic, how
> might pricing be handled?
>
> Any experience, advice or suggestions are most warmly solicited.

        At Greyrock we did use lot premiums as a way of making some of the
places a little more affordable.  We did this prior to lot selection and
attempted to get more "cohoesque" criteria than a standard developer might
use.  To determine the relative ranking of all the units we surveyed all
of the then-current community members for their lot preferences (most
desirable and least desirable, and why).  We decided how large a
financial "pool" to use, set our premium range (we settled on -$2400 to
+$4800).  All the data were boiled down and the premiums were applied to
the lots.  We ended up with four lots with a negative premium and $80,000
to go to the project kitty.  The net result of all this was that if you
paid a lot premium more than about $2600 ($80,000/30 units) you
"subsidized" those with a lot premium less than that amount.  But then,
you should also have gotten a more desirable place.

  /\                     Willie Schreurs                      /\
 //\\  <willie [at] FortNet.org> or <71500.2232 [at] compuserve.com>   //\\
///\\\   Future Home: Greyrock Commons, Fort Collins, CO    ///\\\