Re: Confict Resolution, cont.
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:08:45 -0500
You wrote:

> So, the question of the hour is - have any of you developed a process
> for
> expelling a member while the group is in the development process?
> Putting the development together requires everyone to pitch in
> with both a lot of effort and money, while putting all of it at
> significant risk.
> It's a very vulnerable time, and it seems better to deal with
> unsolvable conflicts during development, before people actually own
> homes.

We (N St Cohousing) have a process for removing the voting rights of a
person with whom the community has an unbridgeable conflict.  I'm going
from memory here, but I believe that it requires consensus of every
single person in the community besides the person in question and their
immediate domestic partners.  If I recall, it requires the active consent
of everyone, not just the people that show up at a meeting - someone
must go around and consult every community member who is in town at the
time.  This process has never been used, but we agreed on it after a near
miss experience taught us that we might need it someday.

Stuart Staniford-Chen
N St Cohousing.