What is a cohousing community?
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 17:47:40 -0500
This problem is becoming worse and worse so I'm now seeking input from
cohousing-l.  Over the years, we have had many philosophical discussions
here over "what is cohousing".  This problem now presents itself to me in
a very concrete form.

I run the Cohousing Network WWW pages.  One of those pages is a list of
links to the web pages of individual cohousing communities.  From time to
time, people contact me and say - "Could you please create a link/page
for XYZ community".

The problem is that in a small proportion of the cases, XYZ is *not*
what most of us would recognize as cohousing.  So far I have dealt with
this on a case-by-case basis, preferring to let whoever was contacting me
make the call.  All I have done is to make sure they did have a
reasonable awareness of what the definition of cohousing is by emailing
them such a definition and asking that they check that they fit it.

Obviously, different people will interpret different forms of words
differently, and most communities have an incentive to get the extra
link/help/whatever.  Some cases have approached me that are very grey
IMO.  Not that the people/communities aren't fine and worthwhile, but
they are something different from Cohousing.

What should I do?

Stuart.