Re: What is a cohousing community?
From: Loren Davidson (lorenwombat.net)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 18:09:37 -0500
At 05:47 PM 8/9/96 -0500, Stuart Staniford-Chen wrote:
>This problem is becoming worse and worse so I'm now seeking input from
>cohousing-l.  Over the years, we have had many philosophical discussions
>here over "what is cohousing".  This problem now presents itself to me in
>a very concrete form.
>
>I run the Cohousing Network WWW pages.  One of those pages is a list of
>links to the web pages of individual cohousing communities.  From time to
>time, people contact me and say - "Could you please create a link/page
>for XYZ community".
>
>The problem is that in a small proportion of the cases, XYZ is *not*
>what most of us would recognize as cohousing.  (...)
>What should I do?

Well...you could always refer them to the Intentional Community website at
either http://www.well.com/user/cmty/index.html or http://www.ic.org...

It's a tough call...there are some out there who'd probably say that places
like N Street, which evolved rather than being a "resident designed
neighborhood", doesn't fit a "strict" definition of CoHo.  And frankly, I'm
quite fond of N St. and the model for community it exemplifies.

I suspect there will be a wide range of opinion on this subject...

Loren
Loren Davidson
loren [at] wombat.net
http://www.batnet.com/beauty/
The First Amendment went too far.  It should have said, "Congress shall
make no law".